Study this example situation:
Khaled stopped smoking two years ago. He doesn't smoke any more
But he used to smoke.
He used to smoke 40 cigarettes a day.
بمعنى اعتاد على تدخين 40 سيجاره في اليوم
"He used to smoke" = he smoked regularly sometime in the past,
But he doesn't smoke now. He was a smoker,
But now he isn't. تعني انه كان معتاد في الماضي على التدخين لكن الان لم يعد يدخن
Past = he used to smoke
Now = he doesn't smoke
"Something used to happen" = something happened regularly in the past
no longer happens:
تستخدم قاعدة used to لحدث حصل في الماضي ولم يعد يحدث الان
* I used to play tennis a lot but I don't play very often now.
* Sara used to travel a lot. These days she doesn't go away so often
* "Do you go to cinema very often?"
"Not no, but I used to." (= I used to go….)
We also use used to… for something that was true but is not true anymore:
ايضا تستخدم used to لحقائق كانت في الماضي والآن اختلفت
* This building is now a furniture shop. It used to be a cinema.
* I used to think he was unfriendly but now I realise he's a very nice person.
* I've started drinking coffee recently. I never used to like it before.
* Sara used to have very long hair when she was a child.
"I used to do something" is past. There is no present form.
You can't say "I use to do".
To talk about the present, use the present simple (I do).
عندما نريد التحدث عن الحاضر لانستخدم used to ولكن نستخدم المضارع البسيط
مقارنه بين استخدام الماضي والمضارع
Past: he used to smoke, we used to live, there used to be
Present: he smokes, we live, there is
* We used to live in a small village but now live in Riyadh.
* There used to be four cinemas in town. Now there is only one.
شكل السؤال عند استخدام used to
* في الاثبات
The normal question form is did (you) use to…?:
* Did you use to eat a lot of sweets when you were a child?
The negative form is didn't use to…. (used not to… is also possible)
* I didn't use to like him. (or I used not to like him.)
Compare I used to do and I was doing:
مقارنه بين استخدام used to و I was doing
* I used to watch TV a lot. (= I watched TV regularly in the past,
but I no longer do this)
* I was watching TV when the phone rang. (= I was in the middle
of watching TV)
Do not confuse I used to do and I am used to doing.
The structures and meanings are different:
لاتخلط بين I used to do و Iused to doing
التركيب والمعنى مختلفه
* I used to live alone. (= I lived alone in the past but I no longer live alone)
* I am used to living alone. (= I live alone and I don't find it strange
Or new because I've been living alone for sometime)